Wednesday, May 27, 2009

ZOMBIES!!!

Back from a nice vacation; thanks for asking. I'll post some drawings of my sunburn later, but first, one of my favorite Samurai Jack Episodes I designed on was Episode #30 (I think)--the Graveyard/ZOMBIE eps.! I believe this was one of the first ones Jim Smith worked on as well, which was a real treat to work with one of my then heroes. I also loved any episode that I got to commiserate/work with fellow newbie/non-CalArt's alumn/outsider Shakeh Haghnazarian. Man, that chick could design like nobody's business! Like I had previously posted: having gone through my boxes of drawings and miscellaneous doodles for MY SKETCHBOOK, I had scanned a few from the stacks and piles. Here are a couple of my favorites...
Like some other designers I know, I actually enjoy drawing crowd scenes. I don't know, some of us either love it or loath it. Maybe it depends on the show, or workload--but I think for me it was the challenge of piecing together shapes; trying to make things fit and read. It can be a Tetris-like puzzle, but when it works, it works. Speaking of, I had a tendency to overwork a lot of crowds on Genndy's shows--eventually learning to simplify even more, liquidating the design shapes to even more recognizable quick-reads. Plus, I ran out of time! hahaha

8 comments:

damon said...

rad

love zombies

SteveLambe said...

Only three images from your best SamJack episode ever?!?

You're a tease, Andy Suriano.

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

That zombie (second up from bottom left) with the big under bite is the best! Awesome designs!

wolfboy said...

Ha! I am a tease, Steve! I'll post a little more, later. But I haven't been able to find the SKETCHES of the best ones...

And I'll put a little something together for you, Drake!

Chris Battle said...

You LIKE doing crowds?

You're sicker than I thought.

Nikolas Ilic said...

sweet stuff, loved that episode to.

ANDY KUHN said...

that's one of my favorite episodes as well.
it's awesome that you worked on it!
great drawings anj!

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Thanks, Andy! Looking forward to seeing the goods!